I think Chicken Parmesan is one of the most universally loved foods, and for good reason. Crunchy, salty, cheesy, saucy, and oft married with pasta, its about as perfect as a food can get… except that it can take a very long time to prepare, its deep fried, and it is mostly white carbs.
So, we gave Chicken Parm the JimCooksFoodGood treatment, took out 70% of the calories, made it weeknight friendly, and kept all of the flavor. May I present:
- 2 pounds thinly sliced chicken breast
- 6 cups veggie noodles
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs*
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 28 oz Tomato Sauce (May I recommend either my Legendary Tomato Sauce, Weeknight tomato sauce (turkey omitted), or a jar/can of your favorite sauce )
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In separate plates, combine the cornstarch, beaten eggs with a splash of water, and panko bread crumbs. Spray large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Season chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Bread chicken in cornstarch, eggs, and then panko, always shaking off the excess.** Place on large baking sheet, spraying the tops of the chicken with cooking spray, and insert into oven. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place the veggie noodles on a large baking sheet, season lightly with salt and pepper, and bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Once chicken is browned, top each piece with a bit of sauce and cheese and bake for another 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately over the noodles with more sauce as cheese as desired.
*Gluten free? Use Corn Flakes, they work equally as well.
**This video does a great job if you’re a breading rookie