Hot honey fried chicken lives in a happy medium between Nashville Hot Chicken, Chicken and Waffles, and good ol fashioned chicken nuggets. I’ve found the sweet spot (pun intended) with this one, especially since it’s easily baked/air fried. Make extra on this one, trust me. And if you make this, served on a toasted bun alongside sweet pickles, well, you just might hit chicken nirvana. Lets food good with Hot Honey Fried Chicken.
Hot Honey Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs , cut in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 lager
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs (whole wheat, oddly enough, work wonderful)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- Set oven/air fryer to 400 degrees.
- In shallow dish, combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and corn starch. In a separate dish, combine beaten eggs and beer. In a third dish, yup, combine the panko and cornmeal. Roll chicken into seasoning, then into egg mixture, then into panko/cornmeal. Air fry for 12 minutes or bake for 20 minutes, until 165 deg F.
- As chicken cooks, combine honey, hot sauce, pepper flake, and a pinch of salt in a small pot. Heat until it bubbles and set aside.
- Once chicken is cooked, quickly toss in the hot honey and serve. Extra napkins and a cold beer recommended.