Necessity is the mother of invention, and these homemade pizza dough cinnamon rolls are no exception. When all I had was a craving and some leftover dough, these wonderful, sweet, yeasty rolls were invented. Don’t fret on the dough; make your own (this recipe rocks), though store-bought also very good. Don’t skimp on the icing either, and if you really feel special, add in a splash of bourbon too. Just fully expect that that these yeasty cinnamon rolls will become you new favorite breakfast!
Cinnamon Rolls (with Pizza Dough)
- 1 pound pizza dough homemade, store bought, tube, whatever you like
- 1/3 cup melted butter, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk (whatever kind you like)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring pizza dough to room temperature, and roll out to as close as you can get to 18×13 (size of a cookie sheet). Use a bit of flour to prevent sticking as you see fit. Place the wide side parallel with the counter.
- Brush the dough with butter, then evenly distribute the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Gently roll the pizza dough into itself, making a large pinwheel, until it is totally rolled up. Roll the dough snake seam side down, then cut into roughly 12 equal rolls.
- Use remaining butter and grease the tins of a muffin tin. Place the rolls cut sides up, cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Uncover rolls and bake for 14-16 minutes or until just golden.
- As rolls bake, combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla to make an amazing glaze. As soon as the rolls come out of the oven, remove from the pan and dunk in the glaze. Consume. Enjoy.