It’s cold. You’re cold. All you want is a big bowl of comforting love. And little says love like a creamy chicken noodle soup recipe! Pro tip; swap the noodles for cooked gnocchi and take this to 11!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Onion
- 1 lb frozen mixed vegetables*
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 quart low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 pound noodles or pasta
- Put large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add olive oil and brown chicken thighs (seasoned with salt and pepper) in batches, 10 minutes total.
- As chicken cooks, dice onion and garlic. Once chicken is browned, remove and set aside, and add in butter and onion to sweat.
- Add in garlic to sweat for 1 minute. Slowly add in flour to make roux, stir and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add in chicken stock and milk, bring to simmer.
- Stir in corn starch, slurried with a splash of water**
- Once simmering, add in chicken, mixed vegetables, bay leaves, thyme, and a heavy pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer for at least 15 minutes, or set in slow cooker for up to 6 hours.
- As soup simmers, prepare noodles according to the package. Serve soup over noodles with an extra grind of black pepper.