Back when Mrs. Cooks Food Good and I were dating, our weeknight routine consisted of an hour plus long workout, followed by cooking up something great together, alternating who got to pick the menu. This dish was one of the first things we ever cooked, and remains one of my favorites to this day. Bonus points on it being quick, easy, and completely healthy!
- 1 pound raw deveined deshelled de-tailed shrimp*
- 2 cups red cabbage (or your favorite slaw mix), shredded
- 1 chipotle pepper, plus adobo sauce
- 4 oz plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 4 limes
- 2 oz tequila (optional, but worth it)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar**
- 12 corn tortillas
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- Slice avocado and half tomatoes, salting each. Cut one lime into wedges for final service and half the other three for eventual juicing.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage with juice of one lime, cumin, sugar, and a heavy pinch of salt. Stir and let sit.
- In a blender, combine juice of another lime, yogurt, and chipotle/adobo (add more if you like it hot). Blend.
- Toss shrimp with garlic powder, paprika, pinch of salt, and pepper. In a cast iron or other saute pan, over medium heat with a tablespoon of your preferred saute oil, cook the shrimp until pink, 6-7 minutes.
- As the shrimp cooks, toast the tortillas in the oven for 3-4 minutes (yes right on the rack is fine), or until just crisp.
- Once shrimp is cooked, turn off heat and add tequila and juice of the final lime. Put back on heat and, if you’re trying to impress your date, flambe***.
- Assemble tacos and eat immediately.
*I say one pound. You could make 10 pounds and it disappears. Shrimp rules.
**Gasp! White sugar?!? You’re fine. Omit if you want.
*** Never intentionally set anything on fire? Watch this video first.