If you haven’t noticed, I try to find ways to lighten up typically heavy (yet comforting) dishes, without doing something weird or making an obscure swap (cauliflower does NOT belong in a cookie). Sometimes, the results are good. Like, really good, because this Popcorn shrimp recipe rocks. I bet 99% of us would eat a pound without blinking right now. Crunchy. Salty. Shrimp-y. And, deep fried. So how can you achieve those flavors? You make my super simple air fryer popcorn shrimp below, with all of the flavor and texture, no added oil, and 80%!! fewer calories. Pair this with a killer chimichurri and you just won, well, life. Air Fried Popcorn Shrimp!
Air Fryer Popcorn Shrimp
- 2 pounds raw shrimp 21-30 ct*
- 8 oz panko bread crumbs**
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoons black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Peel and devein your shrimp if required. Roll in paper towels to ensure as dry as possible.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
- Place flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper into wide bowl, pie pan, etc. Mix to combine.
- Crack eggs and ½ cup water into wide bowl, pie pan, etc. Mix to combine.
- Pour panko onto plate. Mix to combine?
- Line two cookie sheets with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- Batter the shrimp: place dry shrimp into flour, shake off excess, then into egg wash, shake off excess, then into panko, gently pressing crumbs into the shrimp. Lay breaded shrimp onto sheet tray, being sure not to crowd. Let shrimp rest on tray for 10 minutes to ensure the panko has set. ***
- Spray shrimp gently with cooking spray, then bake in over for ~20 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove and serve immediately (say with a chimichurri sauce to dip in).