I’ll be honest; I kind of have the culinary yips right now. I’ve made serious rookie mistakes the past few meals, things that I would mess up once a year, not several times in a week. So, when you’re not quite centered, maybe under the weather also, and you need a bowl of hug, in my book there are two culinary options. Pasta (say, an Italian Beef Tagliatelle ), or tomato soup. An instant pot tomato basil soup recipe that is very easy, uses mostly pantry ingredients, is wildly healthy, and can be ready in minutes…
Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 6 fresh basil leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 28 ounces crushed tomato (look for San marzano tomatoes)
- 16 ounces tomato paste (optional)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Optional: crusty bread for dipping , Parmesan for topping
- Dice onion and sweat with a pinch of salt in large dutch oven or instant pot over medium heat/saute high for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and optional tomato paste, stir for an additional minute.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, and basil (if fresh, leave whole, it will be coming out). Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the fresh basil. Add in the butter, and blend soup in countertop/immersion blender for 1 minute, or until mostly smooth.
- Bring soup back to temperature and serve, garnished with more basil and a swizzle of olive oil.