What amazingly delicious dish takes under 30 minutes to make, tastes like you spent all day (or carried out..), and is also gluten free/keto friendly/calorie smart? Yeah, my smoky, sausagey, healthy, complex shakshuka. Let’s do this. Sausage Shakshuka:
- 1 pound italian sausage I used Johnsonville Turkey Italian Sausage
- 1 Onion
- 1 large jalapeno pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 chipotle
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey a fat drizzle, do not measure this, and is optional for those keto inclined
- 28 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes thats 2 cans
- 14 ounces crushed tomato thats 1 cans
- 1/2 cup feta optional
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro or scallions
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
- Place cast iron skillet on medium heat. Brown sausage in pan until, you know, brown, 8-10 minutes.
- As meat cooks, chop onion and dice garlic/chipotle/jalapeno (take the seeds out unless you like to live dangerously). Also chop herbs for later garnish.
- Once meat is browned, add in onion, cumin and paprika, cook for one minute. Add in garlic/chipotle/jalapeno and cook for another minute.
- Stir in all of the tomatoes, along with the honey and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, make 4 wells in the sauce for the eggs, gently crack the eggs in each well, and bake for 8 minutes covered until poached.*
- Serve Shakshuka warm, topped with the feta and cilantro and paired with some pita, if that's your kind of thing.