I know what you’re thinking; Jim you’re forcing this. Breakfast sausage doesn’t belong on a salad. Stay with me here. Maple loves savory foods (like a Johnsonville turkey breakfast sausage), nutty foods (like pecans), and enhances other sweet foods (like strawberries). Think of the maple dijon dressing as the host of the party where no one knows each other; before you know it all the ingredients will be singing karaoke and making premature New Year’s plans. And if the sausage is too much, seared tuna is also spectacular. Let’s eat an amazing Maple Pecan Strawberry Salad!
Maple Pecan Breakfast Sausage Salad
- 12 breakfast sausages (I used Johnsonville Turkey Sausage)*
- 6 cups your favorite salad mix
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 Avocado
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Cook sausage to package directions, which will read something like: Heat a nonstick skillet to medium. Add sausage links and a splash of water and cover. Cook for ~10 minutes or until cooked through and browned, turning often.
- As sausage cooks, whisk together mustard/maple syrup/vinegar, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. No oil needed.
- Slice strawberries and avocado. Assemble salad. Dress with authority.