Great cornbread makes even greater cornbread stuffing (dressing, whatever. Where I’m from, it’s all stuffing, even if it isn’t going near a bird). Bring this to your next Friendsgiving, and you won’t be bringing any home. The Johnsonville brats (or Italian sausage…) take this dish to an 11! Brats and cornbread were just meant to be!
Bratwurst Cornbread Dressing
- 13x9 Pan of cornbread (About 12 cups)
- 1 Pound Johnsville Brats (Italian Sausage great too)
- 1 Onion
- 3 Ribs Celery
- 1 Cup Shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh sage
- 1 Cup Chicken stock
- 1-2 Cups Half and half
- Obtain one batch of World Famous Cornbread (or about a 13×9 pan yield). Ensure it is cooled completely. Making a day ahead is encouraged.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauté de-cased brats until browned; remove from pan. Dice onion and celery, sweat in sausage pan with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Crumble cornbread and, in a very large mixing bowl, combine with the sausage, onion, celery, pistachios, eggs, and sage.
- Stir in 1 cup each of half and half and chicken stock. Check consistency of the stuffing mix: grab a small amount and make a ball; if you can make a ball without it crumbling, you’re all set.* If not, add in ¼ cup increments of half and half until you’re there.
- Pour batter into greased 13×9 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry and the edges are browned.