I love falafel. For me, its all about the crunchy outside and the soft flavorful inside. Make some at home with your air frier (or oven!) and save a few cals from the deep fryer. This is best paired with some homemade hummus (cough). Let’s cook some healthy air fried falafel!
Air Fried Falafel
- 3 cans drained chickpeas (this is about 40 ounces)
- 1 shallot, minced (use 1/4 onion as a sub)
- 1 bunch italian parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup flour (whatever flour, with/without gluten)
- Preheat over/air fryer to 400 deg F. Chop parsley leaves and shallot very fine (this is a great job for a mini food processor). Add to very large bowl,
- Add in remainder of ingredients to bowl, and with your hands mix batter together. Your job is to lightly crush the chickpeas, leaving a little bit of texture behind. The batter is done when you can make a ball that holds together firmly.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup as a guide, make your falafel. You'll get ~12; the amount matters far less than evenness. Spray with non-stick spray and place into cooking device; air fryer will take ~8 minutes, oven about 12 (though I would check on them at 6 minutes and flip for both).
- Serve warm with sliced tomato and homemade hummus.