This Instant pot, pot roast beef stew recipe is actually inspired by good guy Justin Warner’s pot roast recipe (again, RIP Chefshock). Don’t fuss over this one too much; beef stew and pot roast are supposed to be comforting after all. I recognize the unconventional ingredients like ranch mix and pepperoncini. You’ll just have to trust me (as I eat my 3rd bowl in 24 hours…) on this instant pot pot roast beef stew!
Instant Pot Pot Roast Stew
- 2.5-3 lbs chuck roast
- 1 envelope au jus mix*
- 1 envelope ranch powder*
- 4 pepperoncini (plus 1/4 cup brine)
- 1 large onion
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock**
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 lb mixed vegetables
- Cooked rice or pasta (as shown)
- Cut beef into 8-10 chunks. Sear off in hot pan. Add to 6 qt instant pot, "Slow cook, more" or slow cooker on high.
- Slice onion thinly. Add to slow cooker along with au jus mix, ranch mix, pepperoncini, brine, beef stock, bay leaf, and heavy grinds of pepper.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. 15 minutes before serving, add in corn starch (mixed with enough water to loosen) and mixed vegetables.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, riced cauliflower, or pasta (as shown).
** Unsalted really important here. The flavor packets are pure salt, and the soup wouldn’t work with even low sodium stock.