Listen. I know cornbread isn’t ever the star of a plate, but 99% of all cornbread you’ll have falls into one of the two categories: desert dry or overly weird (looking at you habanero scallion agave cornbread). So here’s my submission to the world: moist, non weird, super easy cornbread.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour*
- 1.5 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup honey**
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place cast iron pan into oven also to preheat.
- Combine all ingredients but the butter in a large mixing bowl; stir until it just comes together.
- When oven has preheated, carefully remove hot cast iron pan. Place butter in the pan to melt, coating the sides and bottom. Pour the batter in the hot pan, and bake back in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out dry.
*This also just happens to equal 3 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix (which you can find for literally pennies). I’ve tried it both ways and I can’t tell a difference.
**The honey is here for more than sweetness, so don’t omit it. Honey is hygroscopic, meaning it literally can suck in moisture from the air. This helps keep the cornbread moister, longer. Science, man.