Paella, a wonderful Spanish dish, is a cross between risotto and heaven. This paella recipe uses things from your pantry and freezer. What it may lack in authenticity it certainly makes up for it in versatility and flavor. Here I used chicken, shrimp, and scallops, but the world is your oyster. While this may not rival Barcelona’s best, it is a darned tasty and easy dinner! Let’s cook some delicious and easy paella!
- 1.5 cups rice Any white rice will do
- 2 cups veggies I used peppers, onions, and peas
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 10 threads saffron Dont have any? 2 teaspoons of tumeric will work
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound cooked shrimp Chicken or turkey great here too. Just make sure it's nice and hot!
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Prepare the rice according to the directions for that rice, only using the chicken stock for the water, and seasoning with the saffron and a nice pinch of salt and pepper.
- As rice cooks, defrost or chop your veggies. If raw, cook in a pan for 3-4 minutes just to soften.
- Once rice is cooked, fold in veggies, thyme. and paprika. Take you largest pan and place over high heat for two minutes. Once hot, add in a tablespoon of oil, followed by the minced garlic. Stir and cook for 30 seconds, then quickly add into the rice mixture. Add everything then back into the hot pan and let cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes (no need to stir!)*
- Once rice is just crispy on the bottom, serve immediately, topped with the cooked shrimp.