Shepherd’s Pie is about the perfect comfort food; starchy goodness on top of warm meaty stew. Classic versions take hours to make. This quick Shepherd’s pie recipe? Under 30 minutes. The twist is the use of sweet potatoes, which add a bit of depth to the already amazingly complex dish. Let’s go make Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie.
Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- 1 pound Ground Chicken Use Lamb for a more traditional flavor, or half Italian Sausage for some funky awesomeness
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary
- 1 quart low sodium beef stock
- 4 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 pound Mixed Vegetables
- 4 cups Cooked Sweet Potato * Cooked Spaghetti Squash great here too
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 4 oven safe bowls or a 12” cast iron skillet
- Put large dutch oven over medium heat. Dice onion and put in dutch oven along with butter and pinch of salt. Sweat 4-5 minutes. Mince garlic and add to onion, cook for another minute, and remove from pot. Set aside.
- In same pot, brown meat until cooked, 7-8 minutes, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once cooked, add in tomato paste and cook out for another minute. Add in cooked onion and garlic, mixed vegetables, Worcestershire Sauce, red wine vinegar, chopped rosemary, corn starch (combined into the stock), and stock. Bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn broiler on high. Mash together the sweet potato, cheese, garlic powder, and pinches of salt and pepper. Turn stew off heat and fill oven safe bowls/baking dish. Top with the mashed sweet potatoes and broil for 2-3 minutes or until slightly brown. Serve immediately. Your bowl will be hot.