I’m not sure what the first thing I learned how to cook was, but this Weeknight Bolognese recipe is probably top three. I’m not sure it gets much more “hug-in-a-bowl” than this. The version below has a few healthier swapouts that lower the carbs and fat and boost the protein, without sacrificing any of the comfort (in 30 minutes too). This bolognese recipe is a pared down rendition of my Ultimate Tomato Sauce. For the wine, if you don’t want to open an entire bottle, some brands sell individual serving bottles of wine, which are perfect to keep around for cooking. Enough talk, lets cook some Weeknight Bolognese!
- 1 Pound pasta*
- 1 Pound ground meat (Turkey Sausage great here**)
- 28 Ounces crushed tomato
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 1 Onion
- 1 Cup White wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper flake
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning (Mine is equal parts basil/oregano/parsley)
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in ground meat, season with salt and pepper, and brown, ~8-10 minutes.
- As meat browns, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. As it heats, dice onion and mince garlic.
- When meat has browned, remove from dutch oven. Add in onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, then add in garlic to dutch oven. Stir for 1 minute, then add in wine, tomatoes, herbs, pepper, and meat. Bring to simmer.
- As sauce simmers, drop pasta into boiling water; cook for 8-10 minutes or per package, drain pasta once al dente, put back in pot with 2 tablespoons oil to prevent sticking.
- Check seasoning on sauce*** and serve over the pasta, garnished with parmesan cheese.