This is a basic mashed potatoes recipe. No frills. Just potatoes. Just how it should be.
Basic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds baking potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1/4 pound of butter (optional, but, needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add the potatoes to your largest pot and cover with 2 inches of cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- As potatoes cook, add the milk, butter, and salt to a small saucepan and set over very low heat.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and return them to the pot. Using a potato masher or ricer, mash the potatoes. Once mashed to your liking, slowly stir in the milk mixture until smooth and creamy. Serve. Enjoy.