Mrs. CooksFoodGood here! For many Thanksgivings, the cranberries have been my least favorite thing on the plate. Then I discovered the missing ingredient: wine! When cooking with wine always pick one you enjoy drinking and you’ll enjoy the dish you make with it. Cabernet Cranberries will be a staple on your holiday table for years!
- 12oz Fresh Cranberries*
- 6oz Frozen Blueberries
- 2oz Frozen Blackberries and/or Raspberries
- 1 ½ cups Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Clove
- 1 tbs Ground Cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil. Watch the pot closely during this step! The sauce will boil quickly. Reduce the heat immediately to keep it from boiling over.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes. The sauce will reduce slightly and thicken.
- Remove from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
*It is possible to use frozen cranberries if you need to. When I tried it, the sauce came out a bit thinner than it does with fresh cranberries. To correct this I made a slurry with about a tablespoon of the wine and two tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix that together and pour in to the pot about halfway through the simmering step.