Dare I say this Healthy Restaurant Style Beef with Broccoli recipe is perfect? Taking the secrets from your local takeout place (read, baking soda + cornstarch), but without the wok full of oil, is some of my finest work yet. The result is a tender, flavorful dish (thanks to the baking soda) that is done in under 30 minutes, so you can make a full another batch for leftovers. Let’s make my Healthy Restaurant Style Beef with Broccoli!
Healthy Restaurant Style Beef with Broccoli
- 1 pound top sirloin (sliced thin)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (divided)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons corn starch (divided)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons ginger (minced)
- Sesame seeds
- Slice the beef as thin as you can and add to a large bowl. Mix in the baking soda, a tablespoon of soy sauce, and a teaspoon of cornstarch, along with a splash of water. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together remaining soy sauce, sesame oil, two teaspoons of cornstarch, rice wine vinegar, oyster sauce, and brown sugar.
- Place a large sauté pan on high heat. Add in a tablespoon of oil and fry the beef (tossing continuously) for 3-4 minutes, until brown. Remove beef from pan and add in the rest of the oil and the broccoli, along with a cup of water. Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes.
- Once broccoli is steamed, uncover and add in garlic and ginger. Cook for one minute, turn heat to low, then add beef and sauce into pan. Stir for 1-2 minutes, or until sauce is thickened. Take off heat and serve, garnished with sesame seeds.