I’m not sure it gets more Michigan than this homemade cherry BBQ (barbecue?) sauce. Tangy and sweet, this cherry recipe is summer in a BBQ sauce for sure. Fresh or frozen cherries work great here for year-round awesomeness. Let’s make my homemade cherry BBQ sauce!
Cherry BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups pitted cherries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot/onion
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- In a small saucepot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallot/onion and the pinch of salt/grind of pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Once shallot/onion has softened, add cherries, vinegar, and brown sugar. Cook for another 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring often.
- Once sauce has cooked out, mix the cornstarch with a bit of water and stir in. Cook for another 5 minutes to thicken. Serve warm or chill immediately.