I field requests from time to time, and this Lumpia Salad (aka Egg Roll in a Bowl, but cooler) is no exception. Lumpia, of course, is the Filipino version of the Chinese Egg Roll. This egg roll salad takes inspiration from both cuisines, and then makes a salad out of it. Feel free to swap out the protein in this salad (just like your favorite egg roll would), and add/subtract ingredients as your heart desires. Either way, this Lumpia recipe turned into a salad will become a mainstay in your rotation!
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 4 ounces Portobello mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces sliced water chestnuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound cooked/ready to eat baby shrimp
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoons black sesame seeds Optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, and vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- As dressing rests, place frying pan over medium heat. Add in oil and sauté mushrooms, 5-6 minutes. Finish with remainder of the soy sauce and garlic 1-2 minutes before mushrooms are done, 8 minutes in total
- Once dressing has rested and mushrooms cooked, toss the veggies and shrimp in the dressing bowl to combine. Serve immediately topped with the sesame seeds and a dash of sriracha, and with or without rice!