Elevate the flavors of summer squash with this simple and inventive recipe. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the squash while adding a touch of char and caramelization. The bright zest of lemon and savory richness of Parmesan cheese create a delightful combination that takes this dish to a whole new level. This versatile recipe can be served as a side dish, tossed with pasta, or even used as a topping for pizzas. Get ready to savor the flavors of summer with this Roasted Summer Squash with Lemon and Parmesan Cheese!
Roasted Summer Squash with Lemon and Parmesan
- 2 medium-sized summer squash (yellow or zucchini), sliced into long strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Optional garnish: Freshly chopped parsley or basil
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Toss the squash: In a large bowl, combine the summer squash rounds, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Toss well to ensure the squash is evenly coated with the mixture.
- Arrange on the baking sheet: Transfer the seasoned squash to the prepared baking sheet, spreading them out in a single layer. Make sure they are not overcrowded to allow for even roasting.
- Roast the squash: Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until the squash is tender and slightly browned around the edges. Keep an eye on them and toss halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
- Garnish and serve: Once roasted, remove the squash from the oven and garnish with freshly chopped parsley or basil if desired. Serve as a side dish or use it as a flavorful addition to your favorite pasta dish.